Sunday, July 26, 2009

All for Redemption

I haven't really written or journeled much since we have been here. It takes me a while to process things. Most times I have found I won't start to truly process until I get back to the states. I don't know why- maybe it's my way of emotionally detaching so I can continue doing the work that needs to be done here, or maybe there is just not enough time for me to process one tragedy before I am slammed with another. Whatever the reason, I sit here thinking about day 1- and a girl who stole my heart.

Her name is Maria- she is 20 years old... my age. Our first interview. I rememberher first walking in and sitting on the couch- arms crossed... dressed in all black... and I wondered if that was a depiction of how her heart felt. Before she even spoke I could look in her eyes and see something was wrong- something had been taken from her, hurt her deeply. And I instantly wanted to save her. As we set up the camera and she began to tell her story, I am completely certain there is no way that I could have imagined something so horrific. My age... it kept flashing through my mind... my age. This girl was just like me, at the same point in life I find myself at- yet we could not have been more world's apart. As I watched her sit there, sobbing, pouring out 20 years of heartache, my own heart was shattered. It is rare, if ever, that I feel so much love for someone so instantly- without even knowing them. But in that moment I would have given anything to take her pain for her. I would have given all I had to protect her and show her she is loved, and make sure she never has to go there again- cost is no object. Rape. Abuse. Rejection. Property rather than a part of humanity. Suicide attempts. Hearing a mother tell you to try and kill yourself better next time because you would be doing a favor to society. I can't imagine being a mother and saying that to your child. Bought. Sold. Bought again. What part of your soul dies every single time... And again it flashes. My age...

I don't understand how these things can go on. But in the midst of hearing such horror, I also saw strength. This girl was a fighter- she won't ever give up. That gives me hope. Each part of this girl's story felt like a blow to my chest... my with every single one, all I could hear was Jesus saying "But my love is stronger..." And even in the midst of such depravity, I know it's true. His love is stronger than rape, abuse, rejection, all of it. And so in the midst of it all, I still see that He is good. His love is strong enough to heal anyone and everyone. It makes all things new, covers all, even this.

As much as it hurts to hear a story like Maria's, I also consider it such a gift. It confirms my calling. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I am called to fight for these girls every day for the rest of my life. And I will. It's a fire deep in my soul to see them free. It's such a girft to me to be able to be cut by something that matters. Because those cuts turn to scars that remind you of the grace of God, what He feels, and what He sees when He looks at us. I wonder if what I feel for Maria is a small taste of the deep, unfathomable, relentless love that Jesus has for us. We are broken, slaves to the fall, drenched in our sin sith seemingly no hope. But when God sees our helpless state, He takes it for us. I only wish I could take Maria's pain for her. But Christ actually does- for you, for me, for us all. That's beautiful. Redemption is beautiful. And that is what I cling to.

"For the glory of it all, He came here. For the rescue of us all, that we may live. For the glory of it all. For redemption from the fall. For the glory of it all..." -David Crowder

Grace,
Ashley

4 comments:

  1. Ashley, thanks for sharing. In every blog I feel the pain you are seeing and experiencing. Again you are so brave to go there, film, interview and face it. But in the midst of the pain, fear and hopelessness it is amazing to hear you all still relying on your faith, on God, on sings, on scripture to strengthen the lost around you, to strengthen you, the team and to see HOPE to come. Thanks for sharing! We have it so easy here in Tallahassee, our bad days are nothing in comparsion to what you are reporting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me,
    Because the LORD has anointed me
    To bring good news to the afflicted;
    He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    To proclaim liberty to captives
    And freedom to prisoners;
    To proclaim the favorable year of the LORD
    And the day of vengeance of our God;
    To comfort all who mourn,
    To grant those who mourn in Zion,
    Giving them a garland instead of ashes,
    The oil of gladness instead of mourning,
    The mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting
    So they will be called oaks of righteousness,
    The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified.

    Isaiah 61:1-3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though the fig tree does not blossom and there is no fruit on the vines, [though] the product of the olive fails and the fields yield no food, though the flock is cut off from the fold and there are no cattle in the stalls,
    Yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will exult in the [victorious] God of my salvation! The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!
    Habakkuk 3:17-19 Amplified

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey...it blows my mind to read about things that you guys are experiencing. It's amazing to know that if someone makes more than $8,000.00 a year that they are in the top five percentile income bracket (something back there is spelled wrong I'm sure.) Another crazy thought is if all Christians in America would give that we could feed, clothe, provide medical, and educate everyone on the planet.

    I have no idea what to say...I only pray that whatever it is that is broken inside us American Christians, somehow the strong Spirit of God will break through........

    "Jesus change my heart! Please make it a little more like Yours is today!"

    Have a safe trip home!

    ReplyDelete